Best Backpacking Sleeping Bag Reviews
If you’re a fan of spending a night under the stars in the great outdoors, you’ll be all too aware of the importance of investing in a high-quality sleeping bag.
When you’re braving the elements, you need to focus on getting comfortable and staying warm, and finding the best backpacking sleeping bag can help you catch Z’s no matter where you are or what the weather is doing.
Which sleeping bag will meet your particular needs is going to depend on how you want to use it. When you’re on the lookout for the best backpacking sleeping bag here are a few factors to consider.
Top Backpacking Sleeping Bag Benefits
- Budget – Your budget is likely to influence your decision, but when you’re contending with nature, this is an item well worth spending a little money on. But it’s also wise to look at the weight of the product, the temperature rating, the style of the bag, and user reviews.
- Weight – If you’re hitting the trail and maybe you’re setting up camp in a variety of locations, portability is key. You don’t want to be weighed down with a heavy bag. An ultralight sleeping bag, which offers warmth, is an ideal option for backpackers.
- Style – Some people may have a preference in terms of the style, for example, quilt or mummy bag. Your travel plans might also affect the decision-making process. If you’re traveling to places where you could be exposed to extreme temperatures, it’s particularly important to make the right choice.
Top Budget Backpacking Sleeping Bag Comparison
If you’re in the midst of organizing your next trip and you’re searching for a reliable sleeping bag to take with you, here are some of the leading contenders on the market.
Best Budget Backpacking Sleeping Bags
Founded by a college student who was struggling to afford premium outdoor equipment, Outdoor Vitals provides first-class quality products at competitive prices. The Summit down sleeping bag features a lightweight design, which aims to keep you warm and dry at the same time as ensuring you can travel from A to B with ease.
Outdoor Vitals has put eco-friendly design on the map. This efficient backpacking sleeping bag concept uses ultralight materials to cut down on waste and provide you with a product that is capable of weathering all conditions. The company also donates a portion of its profits to global poverty projects.
This impressive sleeping bag features premium 800-fill power down, and it’s one of the lightest products out there weighing in at just 2lbs 12oz. Another advantage for backpackers is the compression bag, which enables you to fold your sleeping bag into a pouch that measures just 11×8 inches.
As well as offering portability and warmth, the Outdoor Vitals Summit sleeping bag is also tough and durable. With a ripstop fabric shell, this is a bag that will last for years.
Outdoor Vitals Summit Pros:
- Down filling for warmth and comfort
- Hard-wearing shell
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Manufacturer supports poverty projects
- 0° temperature rating
Outdoor Vitals Summit Cons:
- The price around $225-$250 may be a little more than some budget buyers wish to pay.
Who should buy the Outdoor Vitals Summit sleeping bag?
This is a great investment for people who like to camp out on a regular basis. It is functional and durable, and it features premium materials both on the inside and the outside to cope with all conditions.
Here is a great overview of the Outdoor Vitals Summit sleeping bag:
- ULTRALIGHT WEIGHT: Premium selected 800 fill power (IDFL tested) down fills the bag and holds the highest warmth to weight ratio of any insulation type. We wrap the down in a baffled (not sewn threw) ultralight 20 denier ripstop shell to complete the ultralight sleeping bag!
- WARMER FEET: We know warm feet are critical for a good night's sleep so we removed some down from underneath your back (where it is compressed and not adding warmth) and moved it to your feet, giving you warmer feet without extra weight!
- PACK LESS: Not only does down have the highest weight to warmth ratio of any insulation, but it also is the most compressible insulation available! With the FREE compression bag we include, easily compress your sleeping bag to fit in any pack or space without needing to buy it separate!
- WATER RESISTANT PROTECTION: We coat both our down and the shell fabric with a water resistant coating giving you the added piece of mind when the weather turns bad or condensation occurs that you'll sleep warm and cozy!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We work hard test our gear through torture tests and only use top quality partners ranging from certified down, top shelf fabrics and highly proven sewers! All this leads to us having the confidence to provide a lifetime warranty on your purchase. If there is a craftsmanship problem, we'll fix it!
Designed for mountaineering and outdoor pursuits, the North Face Cat’s Meow sleeping bag is a sleek, stylish sleeping bag, which is marketed as a unisex option for both male and female hikers.
The Cat’s Meow is a perfect option for hikers looking for an ultralight hiking sleeping bag weighing less than 3lb. This bag is easy to roll out, pack up and carry.
Featuring internal handwarmer pockets to protect the extremities, a streamlined, shaped hood and innovative Heatseeker Pro Insulation technology for superior warmth, this is a functional backpacking rig that will appeal to those who are setting up camp in a wide variety of terrain and conditions.
The bag comes with a compression sack so you can be sure this bag won’t occupy much space in your pack. The Cat’s Meow sleeping bag is available in regular (5ft6) and long (6ft).
To minimize cold spots, the bottom of this bag features an offset quilted design to offer better protection where your body rests against the ground. The Cat’s Meow also offers a temperature rating down to 20°.
The North Face Cat’s Meow Pros:
- Shaped hood
- Heatseeker Pro Insulation technology
- Compression sack for hassle-free transportation
- Cool, stylish design
The North Face Cat’s Meow Cons:
- May not be suited to all environments
Who should buy the North Face Cat’s Meow sleeping bag?
The North Face Cat’s Meow sleeping bag is a lightweight bag, which is ideal for hiking and walking. Easy to transport and available in two sizes, this bag is likely to appeal to a wide range of buyers, and at less than $195 it may be slightly more appealing than other more expensive products.
- Women-specific mummy bag designed for temps down to 20 degrees
- Internal handwarmer pockets
- Optimized fill for a smaller packed size
- Shaped hood for more warmth and comfort
- Continuous-filament and cut-staple Heatseeker Pro insulation maximize thermal performance
Designed for comfort in cool and warm conditions, this three-season sleeping bag by Klymit is rugged, durable, compact and cozy.
Featuring 600-fill power white duck down and a 20D moisture-proof nylon lining, the Klymit KSB 20 sleeping bag will keep you warm and dry right through the night. With a half-moon shaped foot holder, a mummy hood, and an expandable chest section, there’s no doubt that comfort is guaranteed with this ultralight sleeping bag.
This bag is built to last, and it has a water-resistant outer shell, which is bolstered by 20D rip-stop material. With a ¾ length zipper, which has a full-length zip guard, you can get in and out easily without worrying about the draft.
The Klymit bag comes with two sacks: one compression bag for carrying and one larger bag for storage at home. The length is adjustable, and there’s a handy internal pocket for phones and wallets. The price ranges from $189 to $219.
Klymit KSB 20 Pros:
- Luxurious duck down filling
- 3-season backpacking
- Durable and moisture-proof
- Color options (red/black and blue/ black and gray)
Klymit KSB 20 Cons:
- Temperature rating of 20° may not be ideal for those looking to hike or camp in extreme winter weather
Who should buy the Klymit KSB 20 sleeping bag?
This sleeping bag is likely to appeal to people who enjoy hiking and other outdoor pursuits. It’s suited to three-season camping, and it’s lightweight but also rugged and durable, which makes it a great long-term investment. If you’re aiming to camp in extreme conditions, this may not be the perfect choice for you, but if you’re expecting moderate temperatures, this is a great product.
- LOFTY, WARM, AND ULTRALIGHT: High-end lightweight down sleeping bag that's comfortable, compact and designed with detail
- TEMP RATING: Tested and rated at 20 Degrees F for three season comfort - FILL: 650 fill-power white duck down is lofty, warm and breathable
- INCREDIBLY LIGHTWEIGHT: Weighs only 2.75 lbs! High tenacity fabrics are tough, light and comfortable; because we are authorized sellers of this product, it includes a limited LIFETIME WARRANTY
- SLEEP COMFORTABLY ALL NIGHT LONG: A draft collar, over-stuffed foot box, insulated mummy hood and flexible baffles at the body's core all work together to minimize heat loss for greater thermal efficiency
- EXPANDED CHEST AREA and FLEXIBLE BAFFLES provide room to move; STASH POCKET keeps small items right at hand; Pair it with one of our INERTIA or STATIC pads for a lightweight, packable backcountry sleep system
Designed for camping and hiking, the Marmot Trestles 15 Cold-Weather Mummy Sleeping bag is a versatile, affordable sleeping bag that comes in a range of different lengths and sizes to suit men and women.
Marmot is a leading name in the world of outdoor equipment and sleeping bags, and the Trestles 15 product has a lot to offer, as you would expect. Featuring SpiraFil high-loft insulation, this light, portable bag has a comfort temperature rating of around 15°.
As well as providing warmth, the Trestles 15 bag is also designed for comfort with a shaped foot-box, which gives you more room and freedom to move your toes, and a full-body zipper for easy access.
This Marmot has a natural down filling and synthetic insulation to provide protection against the elements, and it can be compressed into a portable sack within seconds. Unlike some mummy bags, this bag ensures superior performance in wet conditions. With traditional down, moisture can pose a problem, but the SpiraFil down found inside this bag is capable of coping with damp and wet conditions.
This sleeping bag is available in regular, long, and extra wide sizes.
Marmot Trestles 15 Pros:
- Excellent sizing variety
- Very warm
- Comfortable plush interior
Marmot Trestles 15 Cons:
With a weight of 4 lbs 8 oz places this sleeping bag squarely in the mid-weight category.
Why buy the Marmot Trestles 15 sleeping bag?
This Marmot sleeping bag ticks all the boxes, and it’s great for hikers and campers who like to try a range of different activities and camp out in different settings. The moisture protection offered by the bag is a major bonus for those on the move, and it’s also useful to have size options. Priced from $108 for the regular mummy sleeping bag, this is an affordable product that offers many of the features found on pricier products. If you’re looking for a versatile all-rounder that will serve you well for many years to come and you don’t want to spend a fortune, this could be the ideal choice for you.
- Updated Color
- Insulated Collar with Easy Access Cord
- Wave Construction (Increases loft but not weight)
- Classic Trapezoidal Foot Box
- Compression Stuff Sack
Available in three sizes, the Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree DriDown Sleeping Bag is suited to hikers, campers, cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts looking to bed down in comfort. With a 600-fill hydrophobic down filling, which features DriDown technology and a thermal hood, this sleeping bag has been tested for 3-season use.
The inner is made for superior comfort and coziness, but the outer shell also deserves a mention. With a rip-top shell and a zipper draft tube, this is a hard-wearing bag that can cope with wind, rain, and hail. The bag with a stuff sack for effortless transportation and you can choose from short, regular or long.
The price of this product is guaranteed to turn heads. With the short sleeping bag available from $108 and the regular model priced at under $160, this is a versatile sleeping bag, which ticks many boxes.
Marmot Trestles 15 Pros:
- Affordable design
- Sleeps up to 6’6″
- Excellent moisture resistance
Marmot Trestles 15 Cons:
- Somewhat fragile zipper
Who should buy the Kelty Cosmic 20 Degree DriDown Sleeping Bag?
This sleeping bag is bound to catch the eye of outdoor enthusiasts who like to camp out during the spring, summer and fall. With a comfort temperature rating of 20° and a high-quality down filling, you’ll be comfortable and warm come rain or shine.
If you’re shopping around for the best backpacking sleeping bag, hopefully, these reviews will point you in the direction and ensure you’re warm, comfortable, and dry on your next outdoor adventure.
- Cosmic Down 20 Degree DriDown means more moisture defense & quicker drying in the cold & wet, versatile for 3 seasons use, that's Kelty Built
- Features: 550 fill DriDown, dual-slider locking zipper, Full draft collar, Thermal comfort hood & natural fit foot box, Zipper draft tube w/ antisnag
- DriDown is treated to create a hydrophobic finish on each down plume, allows you to stay dry longer, loft better, & dry faster than untreated down
- Sleeping Bag Comfort Rating: 20 F / -7 C, EN Rating 21 F / -6 C. 50D polyester taffeta liner
- Dimensions: Fits to 6 ft 6 in, Weight 2 lbs 13oz, Stuff Size 8 x 14
Check out other related articles you might like: