Best Camping Showers Reviewed
Getting away from crowded campgrounds and enjoying the tranquility of nature can make for amazing memories. But some of those remote locations lack the comforts that campgrounds provide.
One that often sends up red flags is the lack of a hot shower. Thankfully there is a solution: Purchasing a camping shower setup.
There is nothing better than a hot portable shower when you are enjoying the outdoors, and the best camping showers will provide exactly that.
That’s why we reviewed 5 of the best portable camping showers that are heated by propane. But these units are also very pragmatic for a lot more than showering.
You can wash your dirty dishes, clean dirty gear or clothing, or even give your dog a quick scrub. They provide all the convenience of hot water in the outdoors.
Which camping shower unit will provide for all your needs will depend on how you want to use it. Whether you are tenting or hitting the road in an RV, our reviews can help you make an informed decision.
Top Camping Shower Benefits
- BTU’s – You might have seen the solar powered camping showers. Basically the idea is to allow the sun to warm a big bag of water that you either hang up high, or pump up to provide water pressure. The problem is they require long periods of warming in direct, hot sunlight. So what if you don’t have sunny conditions? This is where on demand hot water is a huge benefit, and a portable propane water heater is the answer to those needs.
- Camping Shower Setup – With most of the units we reviewed, getting a comfortable shower setup requires minimal time. Your preferences might further shorten that setup time or extend it a little. Some units require very little effort. At most, you’ll need to find an area either hang your water heater or rest the unit on the ground. After that you need to connect your propane and your water source.
- Water Source – This is another area that will be guided by your preference and how you want to use your unit. Some manufacturers recommend attaching a garden hose as a water source. That works great if you have a garden hose, but for remote uses that might not be an option. Another type of portable water heater we reviewed for your camping shower is one that is designed for use with a submerged water pump. You can submerge the pump in a large bucket or large drum to have an extended-use water supply. These water pumps are often powered by your DC vehicle outlet, or sometimes by a rechargeable battery. Check out the video at the end showing both options.
- Water Pressure – In order to get the best water pressure in your camping shower, you will want your water pump to match the manufacturers recommended flow rate. If the portable water heater can provide 2 GPM (gallons per minute) of water output than you will want to use a water pump that offers a similar flow rate. A slower pump will reduce your water pressure, but will still work. You’ll find that sometimes a water pump is included, but sometimes requires a separate purchase.
Top Showers for Camping Comparison
Thanks to the Camplux 10L Outdoor 2.64 GPM Portable Propane Water Heater, it’s now possible to enjoy a private shower whenever you go camping. The days of using dirty campsite facilities or simply going without a wash are thankfully long behind us!
Camplux have created a very energy efficient portable shower that you can attach onto the back of your campervan or caravan without any problems. It’s also possible to mount it to indoor walls as well, so it’s the perfect accessory to take with you down to your beach hut for the day. Don’t worry if you don’t have any electricity to hook it up to; this camping shower can also run off its two “D” cell batteries whenever you aren’t near a power supply. The batteries have an average life of around 180 days.
A gas water heat will heat up the water and you will be able to enjoy a water pressure of around 2.8~110.0 PSI. The hot water output is equally impressive at 2.64 gallons per minute. As well as having a shower with this water heater, it also comes in very handy if you need to wash your dog or horse. Thanks to the five-foot hose, you will be able to clean most things even if they aren’t all that close to the actual heater.
There are just a few things you will have to bear in mind when using this shower. First of all, it isn’t recommended to use it above elevation of 2,000 ft. Not only that, though, but the gas water heater cannot be used when you want some drinking water.
This water heater is made from durable materials – metal, iron, and copper. That means that it will be easy to clean before you store it away during the winter, and it will also be convenient to clean and maintain it while you are traveling with it.
- Eco/Full switch function, save more gas in summer time! Also works great with Camplux 12V 1.6 GPM water pump.
- Flame failure device, anti-freezing protection, over heating protection to ensure the safety.
- Compact and light weight structure with 11.5% energy saving technology. You can get instant endless hot water easily wherever you are.
- Maximum power output 68,000btu/hour, get instant endless hot water easily where you are.
- Camplux water heater comes with everything you need, including CSA approved gas regulator and required adapters.
Another great option if you are looking for an outdoor shower or appliance that can supply you with instant hot water for other purposes is the COSTWAY Gas Water Heater, Portable Outdoor Shower. The best thing about this appliance is that it will provide you with instant hot water. So, you will be able to shower in comfort no matter where you are and without the need to wait ages for it to heat up.
This portable shower will need to be mounted to your vehicle in order to heat up the water. You just need to connect the 12V DC pump wires to your car to get started. As long as the wires are connected to your car, you will be able to take advantage of constant hot water.
Of course, you don’t have to only use this for showers. It’s a really handy device that can help you heat water for washing dishes, hands or helping you to make sure that you have some warm water to wash your dog. Thanks to the convenient design, the COSTWAY portable outdoor shower is very easy to take with you no matter whether you are going camping, surfing, or fishing. It will fit into the trunk of your car without taking up too much space at all!
This device also comes with a couple of great safety features too, including anti-dry combustion protection and protection from over heating. You’ll also find that there is protection from the wind so that the gas flame is never blown out.
So, if you enjoy going on long car trips or camp while you are on a road trip, then the COSTWAY Gas Water Heater, Portable Outdoor Shower will no doubt come in very handy indeed. You will just need to attach it to your car when you want to heat up the water and before you know it, you will be enjoying a very warm shower, regardless of where you are!
- 🏕️ For Comfortable Bathing Outdoors-----With powerful heat input of 18000BTU/h, the water heater can instantly heat the water up to 167℉(75℃), enabling a warm shower anytime you like. The long water pipe makes it easy to get water source while the shower nozzle is long so that you can enjoy a easier shower in an open field.
- 🏕️ Multipurpose Water Heater-----Designed with a battery powered ignition system, this gas water heater is perfect for outdoor activities where electricity is not available, such as camping, farms and more. With our water heater, you can not only take a warm shower outdoors timely, but wash your dog in your yard.
- 🏕️ Multiple Security Mechanism-----With overheat protection, the water heater will automatically shut off when the water temperature exceeds 167℉ continuously. And it will automatically shut off gas supply when the off-balance occurs. The double security mechanism ensures great safety while making you enjoy patio shower.
- 🏕️ Easy Operation with Portability-----The water temperature and flow is adjustable with the knobs to meet your different washing needs, which is of much more convenience. Being lightweight and compact with a carrying bag, the water heater is very easy to transport with you without much effort.
- 🏕️ Efficient Energy Using and Easy Setup-----With advanced combustion technology, the water heater can decrease much unnecessary energy consumption. It can be easily set if there is water source, making you enjoy a comfortable shower anywhere anytime.
If you have always wanted a steel portable shower that will be very durable and easy to maintain, then you might want to take a closer look at the Camp Chef HWD5 Triton Water Heater.
This heater can provide 1.5 gallons of heated hot water per minute, so you will be able to enjoy the benefits of a regular shower even when you are camping. What’s more, you will be able to adjust the heat as well as the water flow so you can enjoy your camping showers exactly like you would at home.
The shower comes with an 8-foot shower hose, but you can also fit your own hose as well if you want to use the water heater for something else, such as giving your dog a bath. When you by your Cam Chef water heater, you will also need to remember to buy the two D batteries that are needed to power it as these will not be included.
One of the best things about this Camp Chef water heater is that it is completely free standing. However, if you do want to hang it on a wall, it also comes with some brackets so that you can attach it wherever you like. It’s easy to carry around with you thanks to its handles, and these can be easily folded up when it’s time to store the heater.
As well as all of the above, this portable water heater comes with a one-year limited warranty so you are covered if anything happens to it in the first year.
- Four settings shower head: off, mist, shower, and jet
- 34,000 BTU burner- One standard LP tank is good for approx. 11 hrs.
- Adjustable water temp. from 80F to 150F
- Uses 2 D batteries for ignition (not included)
- Weight: 15lbs w/ stand Dimensions: 12" x 15" 4"
Another great all-round water heater that can also be utilized for showers is the Hike Crew Portable Propane Water Heater & Shower Pump. It’s perfect if you want a portable shower that looks like one you might have in your own home – this looks exactly like a household shower! Before you use it, you just need to connect the heater’s AC/DC adapter to a power outlet or your car’s cigarette lighter and you will then be ready to start using the hot water!
This appliance is exceptionally easy to use thanks to its LCD display. By using this display panel, you will be able to easily adjust the water temperature, safety cutout, and ignition. By using the showerhead that comes with the water heater, you’ll then be able to enjoy a refreshing shower when camping, at the beach, or hiking. You’ll also be able to change the spray patterns to help when carrying out tasks like washing dishes, cleaning your hands, and bathing dogs.
Lots of users love the fact that the Hike Crew Portable Water Heater has some very useful safety features. For instance, the gas burner will automatically turn off as soon as the water reaches 125F (52C). It will then start to reheat the water again once it senses that the temperature has dropped below 113F (35C). The heater also has a fuse protector and it can sense the flow of water too.
You will find that this water heater and portable shower unit is very convenient to carry around with you too thanks to the carry bag that comes with it. As well as that, other included accessories include a pump hose, showerhead attachment, and power adaptors. As the unit itself is very compact, you shouldn’t have too many problems packing it into the trunk of a car with all of your other bags and camping equipment.
If you want, you can always buy a twist-on pipe strainer to use with this shower. If you do, you will then be able to take showers in clean water that is completely free from any debris and particles. That might be very useful if you are using water from lakes or other natural bodies of water.
- PORTABLE OUTDOOR WATER HEATER - Innovative System Runs on Propane Gas Tank to Heat Water for Showering, Washing Dishes, Cleaning Hands & Other Tasks
- COMFORTABLE CAMPSITE SHOWERS - Includes Water Temperature Control Knob, Hand Faucet/Spigot & Shower Head Attachment w/  Adjustable Spray Patterns
- PUMP & HEAT ON-THE-GO - Connect AC/DC Adapter to Outlet or 12V Cigarette Lighter to Car for Instant Hot Water; Perfect for Camping, Fishing, Hiking & Hunting
- AUTOMATIC SAFETY SHUTOFF - Smart Technology Turns Off the Gas Burner When Water Reaches 125°F; Water Flow Sensor & Fuse & Tilt Protection for Added Safety
- CONVENIENT COMPACT DESIGN - Travel Friendly Heater Arrives With Adapters, Hoses, Attachments & Accessories in a Handy Carry Bag [Propane Not Included]
The Mr. Heater BOSS-XCW20 Basecamp Shower System is a CSA-certified liquid propane hot water heater. It can heat water up to highs of 45 F so will ensure that you can enjoy your shower even if you out in the wilderness on a camping trip.
One of the main advantages of using the Mr. Heater shower system is that you can use it both cordless and digitally. If you are out in the middle of no where, then you can run it on its internal battery. This should provide you with enough power for eight five-minute showers. If you are able to connect the system to a power supply, then you will be able to enjoy just over 60 minutes of constant hot water on the system’s hottest temperature.
Thanks to the modern filter system, you won’t have to worry about any debris getting caught in the water. So that means, you can enjoy a dust and dirt-free shower experience even while camping. The how water safety flow switch also helps you to stay safe while showering. For more safety, you will be able to use the flow detector and temperature cut-off features ensure that you can shower in complete safety and not worry about being burned by scalding water.
- 18,000 BTU per hour
- Flow rate - .66 - 1.18 Gallons per minute and scald protection,tip switch and flow driven ignition
- For use with propane gas, water can be increased by up to 45 degrees f above source water temperature. Use : Camping, RV, Fishing, Hunt Camps, Tailgating, Patio, Beach, Poolside, Pet Care, Bathing, Outdoor Shower
- Built in rechargeable battery powers pump for 40 minutes of run time. DC Charge: 8-10 Hours AC/ 4-6 Hours DC; Battery Type: Sealed Lead Acid
- Complete kit includes - quick connect shower head and pump assembly, ac and dc adaptors, and carry bag ; Matchless Electronic Pulse Ignition produces Hot Water at the Flip of a Switch