Best Family Tents Reviewed
Camping as a family is a lot of fun if you can get it right. Being well prepared is vital if you want to have a fun family time.
Finding the best family tent with room for everyone is a key piece of equipment for any trip.
Once you know you’re protected from the elements, and you have all of the equipment you need, you can be sure you’ll make plenty of memories on your next family camping trip.
Which type of tent will work for your family is going to depend on a number of different factors. It goes without saying that you need a tent that protects you from unexpected weather and provides shelter for everyone. Lets look over a few of the more important considerations.
Top Family Tent Features To Consider
- Sleeping Quarters – Getting a comfortable night’s rest is super important. Making your family adventure enjoyable means you need to avoid tired and grumpy kids as well as adults. Having room for an air mattress of some sort is a necessity, so consider the floor space and whether it will accommodate your preferred sleeping arrangements.
- Living Space – Along with sleeping quarters you might also want a living space where you can keep your things. An entry vestibule is a great area for storing shoes and keeping your tent clean. And some designs include screen rooms that a perfect to spend time together if the insect life drives you indoors, or the weather isn’t suitable for sitting outside.
- Bad Weather – When you choose your family tent, it’s important to get the right one. You need space for the whole family and you need a tent that won’t let you down when the weather goes south. Strength and durability are essential factors to consider when you’re looking for the best family tents.
- Capacity Rating – One thing to keep in mind is that the number of people a tent sleeps is the maximum that will fit without any gear. So even a modest family will likely want a tent suitable for 6-8 people if you also want to fit your stuff inside.
You can look over the chart for quick answers, or jump right into our review of six of the best family tents to help you find the best options for your camping adventures.
Top Family Tents Comparison Chart
Best Family Tents
Our top choice for best family tents went to the 12-person person Instant Cabin Tent from CORE. With three rooms and a super fast setup time, this tent could be just what you’re looking for.
At 80″, the center height makes navigating around the vast interior very comfortable, and the tent offers plenty of floor space for the whole family and all your gear.
This large tent can take three queen sized air mattresses, or up to 12 sleeping side by side. As a perfect family tent, it includes two room dividers. So you can split the space up into three rooms if you want to create separate bedrooms, or set up separate living and storage spaces.
One of the features we really like is the wall storage pockets and the gear loft. It’s perfect for organizing and helping you keep small things off the floor of the tent, and save the floor space for larger items. And to help you keep a light source nearby, all three rooms feature a ceiling-mounted lantern hook so you wont be stumbling about in the dark.
CORE 12-Person Instant Cabin Tent Details:
Footprint: 85 inches x 75 inches
Height: 80 Inches
Rooms: 3 Rooms
Comfort Features: Wall Storage, Front and Back Door, 3 Ceiling Hooks, Electrical Cord Access
If you need a family tent for bad weather, the CORE H20 Block Technology helps you stay dry when it’s raining or wet. And the large adjustable ground vents located on each end keep the air moving nicely.
The rainfly is fully taped for water-tightness, and the door and window seals also keep the rain out. Another helpful feature is that the poles are pre-attached to the fabric, which makes the tent super easily to set up. In addition to being able to get it completely setup in only a couple of minutes, the poles are strong and create a rigid structure for stability in high winds.
This tent is an excellent family tent if you’re looking for something with lots of space, and you also want a versatile tent that you can use however you like. With the option to split the tent into two or three spaces or just keep it as one large one, you can use the space however you feel works best for your family. There are flexible options for storage and for using the tent in different weather conditions too.
Here is a great video of the the CORE 12-Person Instant Cabin Tent:
- INSTANT SETUP: Setups in 2 minutes or less! The poles are pre-attached to the tent- just unpack, unfold, lift legs into position and extend legs until they click into place.
- COMFORTABLE: The water repellent rainfly is removable in warmer weather to expose the mesh ceiling for panoramic views for star gazing on clear summer nights. Also, the advanced venting system uses the adjustable air intake vent designed to draw in cool air from the ground while the mesh ceiling allows hot air to escape keeping you comfortable all season.
- TWO ENTRYWAY AND THREE ROOM OPTIONS: Enter from the side D-Door or from the side T-Door which features two attachable room dividers which gives you freedom to create multiple separate living and sleeping spaces.
- WHAT'S IN THE BAG: Tent, rain fly, awning poles, two room dividers, tent stakes, and carry bag
- 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: We strive for total satisfaction with all of our products.
If you’re looking for a slightly smaller family tent, the Kelty Outback Tent sleeps up to six people. With a large door and a double stake-point vestibule, this tent makes it easy to get in and out, while also providing outdoor storage that remains protected from the elements.
When bad weather rolls in, the full coverage waterproof rain fly provides tremendous protection, so you can keep the heavy rain and wind at bay. And at night, the noiseless zipper pulls and D-shaped door mean you can get in and out without disturbing everyone else.
This tent is a good choice for families who don’t have much experience setting up tents, or if you want to get the kids involved. Everything is color-coded to make it easy to set up. And with only two poles, the setup in anything but complicated.
The attached guylines are easy to use, helping to stabilize the tent in windy conditions. When you’re not using the guylines, you can tuck them into the built-in pockets. There are also internal storage pockets for all your bits and pieces.
Kelty Outback Camping Tent Details:
Footprint: 118 inches x 106 inches
Height: 76 Inches
Rooms: 1 Room
Comfort Features: Packs up small
The floor of the tent measures 86 square feet, with a length of 118″, a width of 106″ and height of 76″. It packs into a neat package that’s 27″ long and 8″ in diameter. The fiberglass poles and steel stakes give this tent stability and, along with the guylines, protect you and your family in foul weather.
The Kelty Outback Tent is a good choice if you’re looking for something slightly smaller that’s suitable for all types of campers. If you don’t have a lot of camping experience, it’s an easy tent to set up and will protect you whatever the weather. The vestibule gives you space to keep some of your things outside the main space, leaving a comfortable sleeping space with room for all the family.
- The Outback 6 person camping tent features an easy-to-set-up "X" tent design, a huge D-door for ease-of access and a double stake-point vestibule creates more space for your gear.
- The easy-to-use attached guylines help stabilize the tent in windy conditions, and then tuck away into the built in guyline storage pockets when not in use. Optimum comfort at an affordable price point.
- FEATURES: Color coded for easy set up | Big D door | Guyline storage pockets | Freestanding design | Taped floor seams | No-see-um mesh side walls | Internal storage pockets | Noiseless zipper pulls
- SPECIFICATIONS: Seasons: 3 | Doors: 1 | Vestibules: 1 | Capacity: 6 | Seasons: 3 | Poles: 2 | Pole type: Fiberglass
- DIMENSIONS: Tent Floor area: 87 ft2 / 8.1 m2 | Vestibule area: 22 ft2 / 2 m2 | Tent Length: 118 in / 300 cm | Tent Width: 106 in / 269 cm | Tent Height: 76 in / 193 cm | Packed diameter: 8 in / 20 cm | Packed Length: 27 in / 69 cm
The Wenzel 8-Person Klondike tent is just what you need if you want more space to move around, and a tent that feels a bit more like home. This family dome tent has an attached screen room, which is ideal as a second bedroom, for storing some of your things or perhaps creating a living area.
The tent sleeps eight campers, with five in the main space and three in the screen room. With room for two queen sized air mattresses, for a five-person family, that leaves plenty of space in the screen room for storage or you could have the kids in the screen room and adults in the main space.
This tent has 6.5 feet of head room, allowing you to stand up when you’re inside. This is ideal for families who don’t want to stumble over each other, especially if anyone needs to get up at night. And the removable rain fly exposes the mesh roof for nighttime star gazing.
Wenzel Klondike Camping Tent Details:
Footprint: 16 ft x 11 ft
Height: 6.5 Feet
Rooms: 2 Rooms
Comfort Features: Attached Screen Room
Being able to stand immediately makes the tent seem a lot bigger, but the tent is already large as the main room offers 98 square feet of space, while the screen room provides another 60 square feet. Two hanging pockets offer space for storing smaller items inside the tent.
The seams of the tent are double-stitched and lap-seamed to prevent water coming in when it rains. Made with Weather Armor polyester fabric, it has a water resistance coating to offer further protection during wet weather. All of the zippers, webbing and threads are treated with water repellant applications to ensure there are no vulnerable areas where water can get in.
You can still keep the tent cool and airy, though, with a full mesh roof and two mesh windows that will let in fresh air and keep bugs out. A fiberglass frame and special Power Corners make this tent especially sturdy in the wind.
- 8-person family dome tent with attached screen room
- Made of weather-repellent polyester with polyurethane coating
- Full mesh roof option; double-staked Power corners for stability
- Screened area functions as sun room or second sleeping room
- Measures 16 x 6.5 x 11 feet (W x H x D); weighs 27.3 pounds
For another tent option with plenty of headroom, the CORE 9-Person Instant Cabin Tent is a great choice. The room divider allows you to split the large space into two or choose to use it as one large space, and there’s room for two queen sized air mattresses. The floor measures 14′ x 9′ and the tent is 78″ (6.5 feet) tall.
One of the biggest advantages of this tent is the immediate 60-second setup. When you go camping with your family, you don’t want to have to spend a long time putting up the tent. You want to spend your time having fun, and you might be in a rush to get out of the rain too. With this tent, telescopic poles are already attached to the structure, making it easy to pop up the tent in no time at all.
Core 9- Person Instant Cabin Tent Details:
Footprint: 14 ft x 9 ft
Height: 78 Inches
Rooms: 2 Rooms
Comfort Features: Super Fast Setup
The tent features heat-sealed seams from the rainfly down to the floor to provide waterproof protection. It uses H2O Block Technology, which is designed to improve water runoff so that the outside of the tent doesn’t get too wet.
The mesh ceiling and the advanced venting system allow you to control the airflow through the tent too so that you can keep it cool in warmer weather. You can remove the rainfly when it gets hot to allow for more air to get in.
A large double door makes it easy to get in and out of the tent. You also have hanging storage pockets for your most important items, as well as privacy panels on the doors and windows. The electrical cord access port lets you plug in your equipment or is easily closed when you’re not using it.
- Instant 60 Second Setup; Sleeps 9 people; Fits two queen air mattresses; Center Height:78
- CORE H20 Block Technology and adjustable ground vent
- Features room divider and wall storage pockets keep items neat and off the tent floor
- Electrical cord access port (port is fully closable when not in use)
- Includes rain fly, tent stakes, and carry bag
If you have a large family or you just want to have plenty of space, an 8-person tent should give you lots of room. The Coleman Elite Montana is a one-room tent, allowing you to split up the space however you like.
The modified dome structure is easy to set up, and features reverse angle windows, as well as an electrical access port so that you can plug in all of your essential camping equipment.
Coleman tents are all tested to check for their durability in different weather conditions. The manufacturers test them to see how they fair against rain and wind to ensure maximum strength and protection.
Coleman Elite Montana Camping Tent Details:
Footprint: 16 ft x 7 ft
Height: 74 Inches
Rooms: 1 Room
Comfort Features: Built in LED lighting
The tent is constructed from strong materials, including 11mm fiberglass poles, 75-denier polyester taffeta fly, 68-denier polyester mesh inner tent and 1000-denier polyethylene floor. The patented inverted seams and welded floors help to keep water out so your whole family will stay dry.
Measuring 16 x 7-Feet on the ground, with a 74-Inch center height, it’s not the largest tent manufactured by Coleman, but it’s likely to be more than adequate for many families. It has space for three queen-size airbeds. With only four or five people sleeping in the tent, there will be a lot of space left over for all of your things.
Other benefits include six built-in CPX LED lights that provide 100 lumens of illumination, which are great for lighting up the tent at night. Also included is a rechargeable power pack, which you can use to power the lights or anything with a USB connection. The auto-roll windows can open at an angle so that you can let in air when it rains, without also letting in water.
- 8 person/1 room tent , 16 x 7-Feet footprint, 74-Inch center height,11-millimeter fiberglass poles
- Modified dome structure, simple to set up, electrical access port and reverse angle windows
- Great for family car campers, scout leaders, extended camping trips and easy to transport
- 75-denier polyester taffeta fly, 68-denier polyester mesh inner tent, 1000-denier polyethylene floor
- Includes limited one-year manufacturer's warranty, made in China.WeatherTec system - patented welded floors and inverted seams help keep water out
When you need a tent for all seasons, the Naturehike Cloud-Up tent is it. However, when you’re looking for an all-weather tent, you generally have to compromise on size.
Larger tents don’t tend to be suited to the worst weather conditions, so you need to be willing to look at the smaller options. This 3-person tent is ideal for camping come rain, shine or even snow, and it’s what you need if your family wants to go on a serious adventure.
A low profile and aerodynamic design make this tent quite resilient to blowing rain or other weather events. Since it sleeps three adults, there could be space for two adults and two kids, or possibly one adult and three kids. And you can easily buy a couple of them for larger families or groups.
Naturehike Cloud-Up Tent Details:
Footprint: 85 inches x 75 inches
Height: 43 Inches
Rooms: 1 Rooms
Comfort Features: Lightweight/Small Packing
Its all-weather design means it’s ideal for families who like to go hiking and wild camping, rather than simply taking their car and camping in a sheltered campground. If you’re hiking or backpacking as a family, this tent weight of 5.72lbs and packing down to 17.7″ x 5.1″ x 5.9″ is ideal for easy carrying. It’s easy to set up, taking less than five minutes, so that you can quickly get into your tent whatever the weather.
The Naturehike Cloud-Up is designed for all seasons, with silicone coated features for a 4000mm water-resistant guarantee. It has professional double layers and offers a windproof and waterproof tent that’s suitable for camping in snow, rain, wind or sunshine.
Using the inner layer on its own gives you a well ventilated tent during the spring and summer or warmer autumn days. The tent is made using quality materials, including 20-denier ripstop nylon and nylon mesh with UV resistance and ultralight aluminium poles that are strong and durable.
- BEST QUALITY on AMAZON -- [Inner tent] made with anti-scratch 20D nylon mesh, comfortable & breathable; [Rainfly] made by 20D rip-stop nylon and silicone coated features PU4000mm water-resistant & UV 50+ sun protection guarantee; [Tent poles] made with 7001 space aluminum, lightweight and can supports most heavily wind rain and snow. [Accessories] nylon ropes + 7001 aluminum tent stakes + rip-stop nylon carry bag....From tent to any accessories, ALL ARE MADE WITH BEST QUALITY ON AMAZON.
- DIMENSIONS for 2 PERSON -- Inner layer size: 83(L) x 50(W) x 40(H) inches. Outer layer with extra 24inch long vestibule for storage room: 107(L) x 55(W) x 40(H) inches. Package size: 15.7(L) x 5.1(W) x 5.1(H) inches. Weight: 3.75 lbs (including tent and all accessories). THE LIGHTEST 2 PERSON TENT ON AMAZON EVER.
- EASY to SET UP -- Free-Standing design,quick and easy to set up, it takes less than 5 minutes to set up the tent with double flysheets. Packs down small and comes with an ultra-compact compression bags so you can carry it easily in backpacking camping trips or take it to anywhere. It makes camping easier and more enjoyable. NO CONFUSING AT ALL.
- 4 SEASONS with 1 TENT -- It has double layers can be used for many ways of camping: inner and outer tent superpose together as a waterproof and windproof tent can be used in rainy snowy weather winter; only use inner layer alone as a ventilated tent in spring summer autumn. Perfect for hiking climbing in spring summer autumn winter, will keep you warm and dry even in the strongest wind, most heavily rain, hotest sun burn, or the coldest snow. This is a ANY-TIME ANY-PLACE TENT.
- 20D NYLON MADE -- Made with next generation material 20D nylon (all top-brand tents mainly use this material), which is STRONGER + MORE LIGHTWEIGHT + MORE BREATHABLE + MORE SMOOTH ON SURFACE + MORE SKIN-FRIENDLY than regular 210T nylon tents.
Getting the right tent is important for your camping trip. If you want to have fun, start by getting the best equipment.
Check out our top fishing gear review articles: