Best Paddle Board For Fishing Reviews
Just when you thought fishing couldn’t possibly get any more entertaining, some genius sparked the idea of fishing paddle boards. Now, don’t make the mistake of thinking any old paddle board will make a successful fishing rig. We’re here to help you avoid that miscalculation.
That’s why Fly Fishing Atlas brings you our review of the best paddle boards for fishing.
When shopping for the best fishing SUP, it’s important that you look for fishing friendly accessories and fixtures. Stability is another big factor along with storage concerns.
How and where you plan to use your fishing paddle board will have an impact of which board you will prefer. You might be surprised with the comforts and accessories that are available with paddle boards designed for fishing. It’s smart to consider all the options in order to get the most out of you purchase.
Top Fishing Paddle Board Features
- Inflatable vs Solid – This is a big deal when it comes to storing and transporting your paddle board. If you don’t have storage space at home, or just prefer the convenience of tossing your paddle board in the backseat of your car, then you’ll definitely want an inflatable paddle board. With that said, solid molded paddle boards are super durable rigs that will take significantly more abuse than their inflatable counterparts. But you have to be able to store and transport them.
- Fishing Accessories – Most of the best fishing paddle boards come standard with things like rod holders and bungee storage areas. Other come loaded with many features that are incredibly customizable and super helpful during a day on the water. But that isn’t always the case. Other paddle boards require additional purchases if you want the added function of those fixtures.
- Stability – In general, a larger boat is a more stable boat. When it comes to paddle boards, a longer and wider board will make it easier to keep your balance when you are standing up to cast. Even smaller watercraft like paddle boards cannot escape the laws of physics.
- Comfort – Its quite likely that your paddle board will be used for more than just fishing. Recreational paddle boarding and touring are very enjoyable as well. But when you do use your paddle board for fishing, you don’t want to be distracted and uncomfortable. There are a number of things to consider in this arena including the grip on the deck, the possibility of adding a kayak seat, or even strapping on a cooler that might double as a seat. Check out the options in th ecomparison table below for some quick answers.
Top Paddle Board For Fishing Comparison
Best Paddle Board For Fishing
Not all paddle boards are made with the rigors of fishing in mind. Choose the wrong one and you might find that your fishing efforts flounder. A fishing paddle board needs to be stable and load-bearing enough to support not just your weight but that of your equipment and your catch. And if it’s also light and portable, so much the better.
Fortunately, this board was designed and made with fishing in mind.
Elkton Outdoors’ 12 foot fitting inflatable paddle board combines the functionality you need from a fishing vessel on a surprisingly compact and lightweight frame. What’s more, it gives you everything you need to get started right out of the box. While it extends to 12 x 3 feet when unrolled and inflated it folds away to a readily portable 38x18x12 when rolled up. It even comes with a handy carry case for easy transportation. Weighing in at just 28 lbs, it’s surprisingly light, given its functionality.
The board itself is Rigid Air Dropstitch PVC and comes equipped with a powerful yet easy-to-use high-pressure pump. This helps to keep your board afloat by keeping it strong and rigid throughout your fishing trip. In the box you’ll also find a lightweight adjustable paddle, rod holders, ankle leash, a snap-in fin and an easy load carry pack. Everything you need to get straight into the water.
What’s more, because it;s designed with fishing in mind, it’s easy to mount and access your favorite accessories. The Elkton Inflatable SUP comes equipped with two mounting plates designed to fit all Scottys fishing accessories! Intrepid paddle boarders determined to find the best catch can attach a GPS, Action Camera, Bait Tray, Anchor and whatever else their fishing trip needs. Because all Scottys accessories use the same mount the plates are endlessly customizable so that you can use different equipment to meet the needs of each individual trip. There are also storage pouches and a bungee for keeping hold of your bait and your catch.
Please note that these mounting plates are only compatible with Scottys accessories.
- Lightweight & Compact-Measuring in at only 38x18x12 in when rolled up and stored away in our unique easy load carry pack. The Fishing sup extends to 12ft long by 3ft wide when inflated and can carry up to 280lbs. This inflatable fishing paddle board is designed to make every fishing excursion convenient and simple.
- Loaded With Accessories & Features - Features an easy to use high-pressure pump to ensure your board stays rigid and strong all day, a lightweight adjustable paddle, easy load carry pack, rod holders, ankle leash and snap in fin giving you everything you need to hit the water right out of the box!
- Pre-Installed Scotty Mounts - Personalize your expedition with the help of pre-installed Scotty Mounting plates that can be used to attach a gps system, action camera, downrigger, anchor or more fishing rods!
- Front and Rear Bungee For Storage - Designed with flexible bungee system for grab-and-go adventures. The front and rear bungee can hold essentials like ice chests, tackle boxes and a life vest to complete your water expedition.
- Built to Last - Made with 15 cm Drop Stitch and Double Layer PVC so you can forget about punctures, scratches or leaks!
Seasoned paddle boarders will know that South Bay have a sterling reputation for using the finest materials and most advanced manufacturing methods for hard wearing water sports accessories of real quality.
This ISUP gives fishing enthusiasts everything they need to start ripping lips straight out of the box. It’s a great board for both seasoned paddle boarders and newbies. It’s easy and intuitive to learn yet will is responsive to the needs of even seasoned fishing enthusiasts.
This sturdy 11 and a half foot board weighs in at just over 58lbs including accessories and is made from Military Grade dual layer PVC material with a High Density Dropstitch Core. This lends it the perfect combination of strength and buoyancy. Indeed it can support up to 400lbs of weight making it perfect for those who like to take gear for every occasion (or even bring a friend along). There are also carbon fiber top and bottom stringers to support all of your equipment.
As well as being strong and robust, this board is eminently slip-proof thanks to a wax-free “fingerprint textured” IXPE top deck. This is perfect in ensuring your stability and comfort on long fishing trips.
What’s more, this board comes with armfuls of cool accessories to aid your fishing trip. Included you get;
ISUP kayak seat
2 fishing rod holders and 3 fishing rod mounts
4-Piece carbon fiber paddle
A waterproof fanny pack
Installed bungee straps
Pre-installed hard plastic fins
XXL ISUP Backpack with wheels
That’s a generous package that’s more than enough to get you started in virtually any body of water!
- [SPECS]: This premium ISUP is 11' Feet 6" inches long x 32" inches wide x 6" inches thick -||- Extremely stable & durable design -||- Great for all skill levels, the 11'6 Hippocamp Inflatable Paddle Board easily supports up to 400lbs - absolutely ideal for bringing Fishing gear or an extra friend along -||- This 11'6 Hippocamp = The ultimate Inflatable Paddle Board package for epic Fishing, Exploring, and Aquatic Traveling.
- [LONG LASTING DESIGN]: All 11'6 Hippocamp Inflatable Paddle Boards are custom made with long lasting & light weight, Military Grade dual layer PVC material + High Density Drop-Stitch Core creating a stiff and easy to paddle Inflatable SUP -||- The Fishing ISUP also features Carbon Fiber top stringer & bottom stringer to truly make this ISUP ready for extra gear! -||- 2+1 Fin Box System -||- Durable & Thick XXL Wheeled Carrying Bag with extra room - travel approved!
- [UNIQUE FEATURES]: 'Fingerprint' textured IXPE top deck for extreme grip and comfort during long paddle and fishing sessions -||- (3) Pre-Installed Fishing Mount Plates + (2) Fishing Rod holding mounts -||- Thick carry handles on center of board, nose, & tail for easier transportation -||- Bungee Straps on nose & tail of the top deck for extra on deck storage of equipment -||- Pre-Installed D-Rings for *included kayak seat -||- Carbon Fiber Re-Enforced Rails & Stringers
- [PURCHASE INCLUDES] : All 11'6 Hippocamp Inflatable SUP Paddle Boards include the Premium Fishing ISUP Package -> ISUP // 2+1 FCS Paddle Board Fin Set // 9" SUP Fin // Coiled SUP Leash // 4 Piece SUP Kayak Paddle // Pre-Installed Bungee Straps // ISUP High Capacity Hand Pump // ISUP Patch Repair Kit // & ISUP Carrying Backpack With Wheels // Pre-Installed D-Rings // Kayak Seat // ISUP Cooler // Waterproof Fanny Pack // (3) Pre-Installed Fishing Mount Plates // (2) Fishing Rod Holders
- [100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE] : USA DESIGNED AND RISK FREE RETURN: 30 day guarantee and 1 year warranty on all ISUPs. Your local California based company with local American Family Friendly Customer Service -||- Our Stand Up Paddle Boards are made with the best specifically sourced materials -||- We Firmly believe our ISUPs are the best in the market with incredible performance, high-end quality, and premium design as well as being the only TRUE complete ISUP Package Kits on the market 🙂
Elkton’s second 12 foot entry on the list, this stand up fishing paddleboard is hardy yet versatile craft with na hybrid design that allows transformation from a stand up board to a kayak in mere minutes (although the kayak seat is purchased separately). Just rear of the board’s centre you’ll find D-Rings into which the kayak seat can be quickly and securely secured assuring comfort and stability. The same D-Rings can also be used to secure your gear or your cooler.
If you’re looking for a vessel with incredible durability and stability, look no further. This hybrid board is made from a rotationally molded high density polyethylene exterior shell with a solid PU foam core. This helps to make the vessel buoyant and stable yet also extremely tough and hard-wearing. Atop this there’s a pressure Injected Solid No-Flex Deck combined with a Textured EVA Traction Pad which means that you’ll always have a stable and slip-proof yet comfortable surface from which to cast off. You’ll never need to worry about sinking or losing your balance on this sturdy vessel. It can handle weights of up to 475 lbs.
For all its robust functionality, this is a surprisingly light board weighing in at just 33lbs. Other features include extruded aluminum track mounts to which you can attach your fishing rod holder, GPS, fish finder or action camera. There’s also universal hard mounting points with swivel rod holders.
While this isn’t the kind of vessel that can be rolled up and transported, there are 4 durable handles for getting it into and out of the water with ease.
- IBIS Pro Specs: Dimensions - 12' (L) x 33" (W), Weight - 72 Lbs, Capacity - 475 Lbs, Paddlers - One or Two Person, Material - High Density Rotomolded Polyethylene
- Angler Package: The Elkton Outdoors IBIS Pro Stand Up Paddle Board comes with 2 Swivel Mount Active Rod Holders, 5 Integrated Extruded Aluminum Gear Tracks for Custom Rigging, 2 Bungee Paddle Parks, Front and Rear Bungie Storage Compartments, and Ample Cockpit D-Ring Tie-Down Points for Gear, Kayak Seat, or your Cooler!
- Stand & Cast: The Pressure Injected Solid No-Flex Deck combined with the Textured EVA Traction Pad delivers the ultimate casting platform built for Comfort and Stability. Never worry about taking a swim while trying to reel in your catch!
- Ultra Durable Construction: This Kayak SUP Hybrid features a rotationally molded exterior shell with solid PU foam core. This delivers exceptional durability with uncompromising stability that's guaranteed never to sink.
- Kayak SUP Hybrid: Transform from a traditional Paddle Board Set Up to a Sit-on-Top kayak in minutes. Simply strap the optional Elkton Outdoors Aluminum Framed Seat to the D-Rings just rear of center. Mounting straps included with IBIS Pro Roto SUP. Seat Purchased Separately. This versatile design make the perfect watercraft for Fishing, Touring or Family Fun and Recreation.
Atoll’s impressive 11 footer has had a makeover for 2019 and the brand have pulled out all the stops to build even more value into its flagship ISUP. It is now lighter and more durable than ever. In fact, weighing in at just 21 lbs it’s up to 40% lighter than comparable models. But don’t let it’s light weight fool you, this board is as tough as it is made with Military Grade Korean-style dropstitch PVC and has been water tested at 350 lbs by children and adults of varying heights and weights so you can be sure that it’s a good fit for just about everyone. The great thing about this board is that it combines the comforting rigidity with the versatility and portability of an inflatable, so you get the best of both worlds.
Included you’ll find an industry-leading Bravo dual action high pressure hand pump which pumps when you push down and when you pull up and inflates up to 15 PSI. There’s also an adjustable and lightweight 3 piece 4th generation fiberglass paddle with nylon blade. While there is an 8” double strength removable fin included this board’s fin box is compatible with any aftermarket fin. Fins are quick and easy to remove and replace with no need for messing around with tools or fiddling with tiny screws while you’re fishing.
Included you’ll also get a cool travel and storage backpack which now comes as standard, making this lightweight vessel easy to transport than ever. There’s even room inside to accommodate not just your paddle board but your pump and paddle, too!
What’s more, you also get a 2 year manufacturer’s guarantee for your sustained peace of mind while you fish!
- ISUP now comes standard with 4th generation black fiberglass isup adjustable lightweight 3 piece, floating, paddle with nylon blade. Detachable extra durable removable fin compatible with all universal/ US fin boxes, NO lost screws fins, no tools needed and compatible with almost all aftermarket fins.
- Sleek new upgraded heavy-duty paddle board backpack / travel bag (large enough to fit pump, paddle, paddle board ISUP), zipper opening allows ISUP dry while being stored.. NOW INCLUDES EXTRA TOUGH 10' POLY FLEX COIL PADDLE LEASH
- 6 inches thick, 32 inches wide and 11 feet long, the perfect all around board. Tested and quality assured ISUP board, Fully wrapped with second layer of PVC material on the top and bottom: creates a stiff, rigid and sturdy board, now with 15 D-rings on the deck to tie down anything you need including kayak seats. Supported ISUP riders at 300 lbs with ease (see image) and has been water tested at 350 lbs, your perfect all around board great for touring, fishing, yoga any paddle needs you have.
- Tri fin design enables easier and more efficient tracking. 2 YEAR MANUFACTURERS WARRANTY - Atoll Board Co's inflatable boards are covered from any workmanship or material defect for a period of 2 YEARS. ATOLL BOARDS offers only the highest quality products and stand behind them 100%, become part of the fastet growing lifestyle sports in the world.
- NEW 2019 isup package comes complete with : extra tough isup travel bag, ultra-light construction, military grade PVC on this inflatable paddle board - 40% lighter than comparable models coming in at a mere 21 lbs. This technology creates an extra ridged inflatable stand up paddle board. Comes standard with: High Pressure Bravo dual action hand pump (inflates when pushing down AND pulling up, up to 15psi), front bungee tie downs. Upgraded travel and storage backpack also standard with reinforced
Another great 11 foot board, this one comes courtesy of the California Board Company. This high-quality standup paddle board is strikingly easy on the eye, with wood paneling atop a distinctive blue and white chassis. As well as being a looker, it’s both robust and lightweight, weighing in at a lean 30.8 pounds.
It’s robust design comes from 5 layers of epoxy resin and 2 layers of fiberglass cloth that keep it strong yet buoyant and a comfortable surface to cast off from. It’s designed to be rugged and durable both on the water and in transportation and is serviceable for seasoned paddle boarders as well as being accessible to the novice. Getting the board into and out of the water is easy thanks to the Easy Transport off-center positioned carry handle.
Whatever your age, size and weight, you should find the California Board Company’s Angler Fishing Paddle Board easy to use with a load bearing weight of up to 325 lbs that should accommodate most riders.
The paddle board comes complete with an attached bungee, built-in carrying handle, incredibly durable leash, and a removable gear rack with the capacity to hold two rods comfortably as well as the rest of your gear. This vessel comes with a fin attached although its fin box is also compatible with virtually all 1-10” after market fins. Again, fins are easily interchangeable without the need for tools or screws.
While it has fewer frills, bells and whistles than other entries on our list, this is nonetheless a durable, light and easy to use board which is suitable for all ages and experience levels.
If you’re looking to combine the therapeutic benefits of fishing with the vigorous workout you get from a paddle boarding session, any of these boards is a great vessel to aid you on your mastery of the great outdoors!
- Dimensions: 132L x 30.7W x 4.5H in.
- Epoxy fiberglass construction
- Blue and white colors with wood paneling
- V-Hull nose
- Recommended for novice or advanced paddlers
How to Choose A Fishing SUP
If you want to use a paddle board on your next fishing adventure it’s worthwhile to know which features you will get the most benefit from. Using a fishing SUP is quite different from fishing in other boats. There are a huge number of benefits to using a paddle board for fishing and its important to understand how your fishing SUP will perform to make your experience all the more enjoyable.
SUP Fishing – What You Need To Know
- Standing – SUP is an acronym for standup paddle board, and that ability to stand while fishing from your paddle board is a huge plus. Particularly while fly fishing, your casting distance and accuracy will see dramatic benefits from standing. Standing while fishing will also give you a better vantage point to see the water. If you fish with polarized fishing sunglasses you’ll be able to sight fish much more effectively and spot fishing in the distance. Stalking fish on saltwater flats and fishing over beds is another strong point of SUP fishing.
- Water And Wind Conditions – You’ll want to carefully consider water as well as weather conditions before you set out on a day of fishing on your paddle board. Since paddle boards rest entirely on the surface of the water, they will drift with the breeze and move in windy conditions. Significant winds will often begin to produce waves that make standup fishing difficult.
- Storage – Finding a place to store larger items will be a challenge on your fishing SUP. Fishing paddle boards often include bungee storage areas that can serve to keep items in place. A smart solution that anglers use for storage is to tie down a fishing cooler and also use it as a seat. Aside from a great seat, you can use it for keeping items dry or keeping your catch on ice as well as cold drinks. You might also be interested in our favorite fishing coolers.
- Rod Holders – At times you will need to put down your fishing rod to paddle around or get into your storage areas. Rod holders are more than a convenience item, they are an essential element of any fishing SUP. Just laying your fishing rod on the deck of your paddle board is asking for a lost rod, as you could easily drop your rod into the water.
Here is a great video showing a Fishing SUP setup:
Check out our top fishing gear review articles: