Best GPS For Geocaching Reviews
People have been exploring the outdoors for a long time, first out of necessity and then as a hobby. Although unplugging and getting connected to nature is certainly enjoyable, technology can also add to your experience when you’re enjoying the outdoors
In fact, technology has become necessary for some activities. If you enjoy hiking or perhaps geocaching, a GPS is a valuable piece of equipment. It helps you to find your way around and keeps you safe by ensuring you don’t get lost.
That’s why we reviewed the best GPS for geocaching and hiking.
Before you choose which GPS option is best for your geocaching or hiking adventures, take a look at the recommended choices below. Some of the best GPS units for geocaching and hiking have been chosen to help you find the best one for your needs.
GPS Features To Consider
If you want to buy a GPS for either geocaching or hiking, there are various things that you might consider before purchasing.
The accuracy of the GPS is one of the most important factors to consider. You need it to help you find your way around, and it won’t be much use if it leads you astray.
Battery power is another essential quality that you should look at when trying to choose a portable GPS, especially if you want to take long trips or perhaps leave it in your car between uses.
For modern GPS units, you will also want to consider connectivity. You can share your location on social media and other platforms, as well as send text messages with many GPS options.
Top GPS For Geocaching Comparison
Best GPS For Geocaching
This GPS option from Garmin offers a base unit, as well as a choice of extra options to add functionality. These include the possibility of adding ANT, Bluetooth and US or Canada TOPO.
These options means that you can choose the unit that works for your budget, as well as ensure you get the features that you need. The unit offers you a 2.6″ color display, which has been designed to be easily readable in sunlight.
You will easily be able to see the smart notifications that come up, and you can pair it with ANT+ sensors to measure your heart rate, temperature, speed and more. You can even use it to control your VIRB action camera.
Garmin products work with Garmin Connect, giving you the option of connecting your GPS to your smartphone. You can also share activities as you do them with Live Track.
This unit has highly sensitive GPS, GLONASS receiver and a three-axis compass with a barometric altimeter to provide you with accuracy and ensure you can always find your way. It comes with 4GB of internal memory and a microSD card slot to add more memory.
Geocachers will love the 250,000 preloaded caches and the one-year BirdsEye Satellite Imagery subscription also adds to its benefits. Photo navigation allows you to download geotagged photos from the internet and navigate to them too.
This GPS has a 16-hour battery life to give you plenty of time to enjoy yourself outdoors. Use the Garmin BaseCamp software with it to plan your trips.
- Sunlight Readable 2.6 inch color display; Expanded Internal Memory 4GB
- Display type is transflective, 65k color tft; Display resolution is 160 x 240 pixels
- DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM Use with 2 traditional AA batteries, or the optional rechargeable NiMH battery pack that can be charged while inside the device.Weight 8.1 ounce (230 gram) with batteries: AA batteries required (best with Polaroid AA batteries)
- Receive Smart Notifications* and pair with optional ANT+ sensors, such as heart rate monitor, Tempe temperature sensor, speed/cadence, or use to control your VIRB action camera (64s/64st only)
- Wireless upload data to Garmin Connect and view on smartphone, plus share activities as they happen with Live Track (64s/64st only).Display size(inches):1.43 x 2.15
This wearable GPS unit is wildly popular among sporty outdoor folks that prefer to wear their GPS on their wrist, instead of having to carry a separate unit. Being able to wear the Garmin Fenix 5 gives it a distinct advantage if you don’t want to carry something bulky.
As a multisport watch, it offers a variety of other functions apart from the GPS, including heart rate technology, smart notifications and a performance widget to track your workouts. Geocaching with the Ganin Fenix 5 requires some initial setup when you first buy this GPS, and we’ve included a video below that walks you through the process.
The bright, high-resolution display is in full color with LED backlighting so you can read it outdoors. You also have the choice of a sapphire lens, which is scratch-resistant.
The watch benefits from GPS and GLONASS satellite reception, as well as a 3-axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter. It also has Garmin Connect so that you can connect to the online community for Garmin, as well as the wireless connectivity so you can download watch faces and apps from the Connect IQ store too.
The watch delivers advanced performance metrics, which are particularly good for hikers, but you can find useful if you’re a runner too.
With interchangeable watch bands, this watch also looks good and can be customized to suit your tastes. Download the apps and watch faces that you like to make both the look and functionality of this watch match your needs.
You can choose from a range of colors and choose either regular glass or a sapphire face for a stylish GPS watch. This GPS watch has a great range of functions and it’s good for many different activities.
Geocaching with this GPS requires that you install a widget from the Garmin website onto the Garmin Fenix 5, as well as the companion app on your smart phone. After that is done, you can visit geocaching.com to load geocaching GPX files from a particular area.
Here is a great video on geocaching with the Garmin Fenix 5:
- Premium multisport GPS watch with Elevate wrist heart rate technology. Physical size 1.8 x 1.8 x 0.6 inches. QuickFit watch band compatible included (22 mm)
- Fit for adventure with rugged design that features stainless steel bezel, buttons and rear case. Display type : sunlight visible, transflective memory in pixel (MIP)
- Put key stats at your fingertips with the performance widget that shows the effects and progress of your workouts. Case material : Fiber reinforced polymer with stainless steel rear cover
- Connected features include smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect online fitness community and personalization through free watch faces and apps from our Connect IQ store.Display size: 1.2 inches (240 x 240)
- Outdoor sensors, including GPS and GLONASS satellite reception and 3 axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter
The Garmin Etrex 30x handheld navigator has a large 3.7GB of internal memory so that there is plenty of space for your maps. It also has a microSD card slot so that you can add even more, with compatibility for TOPO 24K, HuntView, BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery when you have a subscription.
The preloaded basemap is handy, and the built-in sensors will help you to navigate the world. It includes a built-in 2-axis tilt-compensated electronic compass and a barometric altimeter too.
Wireless connectivity allows you to share your information, from geocaches to the routes that you take when you’re hiking. Connect to compatible Garmin and other devices to share your information.
The excellent display has a 240 x 320 display pixels for good readability, which is 65k color sunlight readable and sized 2.2″.
The GPS unit supports GPX files for geocaching so you can download geocaches and necessary details straight onto it. You’ll get key information, such as location, terrain and difficulty to help you navigate as you’re exploring. The WAAS-enabled GPS is highly sensitive and HotFix satellite prediction also helps you to locate and maintain your position.
This GPS unit offers the advantage of being able to read both GPS and GLONASS satellites at the same time. The navigator also comes with the BaseCamp software so that you can plan your trips. It displays topographic data in 2D or 3D on your computer to make it easy to plan your adventures.
- UPGRADED DISPLAY Features a 2.2" 65K color sunglight readable display offering increased resolution (240 x 320 pixels). Physical dimensions: 2.1" x 4.0" x 1.3" (5.4 x 10.3 x 3.3 cm)
- LOAD MORE MAPS Large 3.7 GB of internal memory and microSD card slot lets you load a variety of maps, including TOPO 24K, HuntView, BlueChart g2, City Navigator NT and BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required)
- PRELOADED BASEMAP Includes a worldwide basemap with shaded relief
- BUILT IN SENSORS eTrex 30x adds a built in 3 axis tilt compensated electronic compass and a barometric altimeter which tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude, and you even can use it to plot barometric pressure over time
- WIRELESS Wirelessly share your waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches with other compatible devices simply press "send" to transfer your information also wirelessly connects to compatible Garmin devices, including VIRB and accessory sensors
This waterproof GPS is designed especially for all-weather hiking, with its rugged design. It has a preloaded global map and supports GPX files to make it easy to download and share what you want.
One of the advantages of this GPS is that it has a 3.2 megapixel camera, as well as a microphone and speaker so that you can record your experiences. It also requires only 2 AA batteries and can run for up to 16 hours, which is the same battery experience that many other units will provide.
This GPS unit is really designed to last, with a more rugged construction compared to other options.
Paperless geocaching is available with this unit, with the ability to download and view more than 20 characteristics, which you can search and filter on your device. With the World Edition map you can view accurate maps in either 2D or 3D and you get a complete road map of the US, Canada, Europe, and Australia, as well as major roads in the rest of the world.
The touch screen on this GPS makes it modern and easy to use, but it also has two hard buttons. You can customize these buttons so that they are connected to your two most used functions.
It also has a OneTouch menu, which provides instant access to bookmarks of favorite places. You can quickly pull up your home or places that you go to often.
- 12,000 Lakes for US.4 Hot Maps Premium regions combined into a single product
- 3.2 Mega Pixel-Camera with Auto focus and Integrated Microphone and Speaker
- The World Edition includes a detailed road network, water features, urban and rural land use, and a realistic shaded relief background
- 3" Touch Screen
- The eXplorist GPS receiver supports GPX file format and connects seamlessly to a PC as an external drive. Simply save files to and from the device and share with your favorite online communities
For another waterproof and wearable hiking GPS, consider this affordable option from Garmin. It’s perhaps not as high-tech as some other options, but it offers excellent value and a highly sensitive GPS with HotFix for good performance.
It runs on just two AAA batteries for a simple way to get what you need from a GPS unit for up to 17 hours. You can keep track of where you’re going, including waypoints, tracks and routes, and you can add a heart rate monitor to track your heart rate as you move too.
The unit features TracBack, which retraces your path on the LCD display, which has a 100 x 64 pixel resolution.
Some of the features you can benefit from include a trip computer, sunrise and sunset times, hunting and fishing information, an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter.
You can connect the device to your computer via USB to store your waypoints, routes and tracks, as well as share them wirelessly with other Foretrex 401 units. Like other Garmin devices, this GPS unit allows you to connect with Garmin Connect so that you can share everything with the Garmin community and on social media.
The wrist expansion strap on this GPS is a bonus for anyone who would rather wear their GPS than carry it in their hand. The Foretrex 401 offers a simpler version of a GPS unit that still has plenty of the more modern features of a more modern GPS.
- Features high-sensitivity GPS receiver with HotFix for improved performance and reception in heavy tree cover or deep canyons
- Keeps track of routes, tracks and waypoints, and heart rate with add on heart rate monitor (sold separate). Uses standard AAA batteries. 2 required.
- TracBack feature retraces user's path on the easy-to-read LCD display;Display resolution 100 x 64 pixels;Battery life Up to 17 hours in GPS mode;Track Log 10000. Display size : 1.42 x 0.91 inches
- Supports dual position readout so user can view current location in multiple formats. Audible tones. Hold the compass level when navigating to ensure maximum accuracy
- Features trip computer, sunrise/sunset times, hunting/fishing information, electronic compass and barometric altimeter