Best Hip Waders Reviewed
Hip waders are quite possibly one of the most versatile pieces of outdoor gear. Of course fishing is what we’re all about, but as outdoor enthusiasts we value gear that can adapt to a range of outdoor applications.
When shopping for the best hip waders, it’s important that you find the right features that will make your waders as beneficial as possible.
That’s why we reviewed a spread of hip waders that is sure to fit any anglers needs. From breathable hip waders designed to maximize comfort, to ultra-rugged rubber hip boots, we covered all the bases.
Which pair of hip waders will be fitting for your requirements is going to depend on what you intend to use them for. Read on for all the details, or you can jump down to take a look at our comparison chart for quick answers.
Top Hip Waders Features
- Durability – The question you should always have with hip waders is: are they durable? Lets be realistic – there are plenty of entry level waders on the market that don’t last very long. Bargain basement hip waders might seem easy on the pocketbook, but sometimes two or three pairs can cost you more in the long term.
- Comfort – When comparing rubber vs breathable hip waders, there is no doubt that breathable waders provide comfort for a wider range of temperatures. But a heavy duty pair of rubber hip boots can take a serious beating for more rough and tumble types of uses.
- The Right Fit – In our experience, having a proper fit is a big contributor to the durability of any fishing wader. Tight fit causes stretching of the waterproof seams, which also eventually causes leaking. For breathable hip waders, you want a slightly loose fit on the legs so you can add under-layering in cold weather.
- Stockingfoot vs Bootfoot Waders – We like that stockingfoot fishing waders provide for swapping your wading boots whenever needed. Bootfoot waders are usually a little less expensive than purchasing separate wading boots. But bootfoot waders can cost you more long-term if your boots fail and cannot be replaced. Whatever your preference might be, your stockingfoot or bootfoot needs to fit with enough room for warm socks when you wade in cold water.
Top Hip Waders Comparison
Best Hip Waders
There are lots of great waders for fishing enthusiasts on the market today, from insulated waders to neoprene hip wades; the options are endless. However, one pair of waders that has a great reputation and a lot of amazing qualities is the Chota Outdoor Gear Hip Waders.
These breathable hip waders are adaptive, being fully capable as a knee-high, or thigh-high wading sock, as well as a comfortable hip wader. This is something that a lot of outdoor enthusiasts have been calling out for. Chota obliged, and created the Chota Outdoor Gear Hip Waders, and they have certainly been very well received.
With Chota Outdoor Gear Hip Waders, you can expect a comfortable 3 mm neoprene stocking foot. Attached just below the knee is an adjustable cinch strap for knee-high use. At the top of the thigh you’ll find an adjustable elastic drawstring that easily anchors to your belt to ensure a comfortable and secure fit at any height.
The breathable upper is laminate, breathable, and three-ply for durability that remains flexible. These waders have also been carefully designed to ensure that there is a comfortable fit for a variety of body types. The cinch straps and adjustable drawstrings provide a wide sizing range.
Aside from the qualities that have already been mentioned, these waders have been created using rugged polyester, which is 100 percent waterproof and breathable. They are also very flexible which is a big plus when you need to convert your waders from knee to hip height. Other features include integrated gravel guards.
- 100% WATER PROOF/100% BREATHABLE - Three-ply laminate upper, provides flexibility and durability for all day walking and wading comfort
- ADJUSTABLE DESIGN - for varied wading depths, easily converts height from knee to hip with an adjustable top drawstring to secure the waders
- SECURE FIT- Interior built in cinch strap just below the knee provides a secure fit and prevents water from entering the foot area while wading or hunting
- NEOPRENE - 3-mm neoprene stocking foot bed; easily fits into your wading boots with built-in gravel guards, Small - Medium - Large - XL and XXL available
- HUNTING/FISHING - Versatile uses, great for hunting in marshes or tall grass, keeps feet and legs dry, great for john boats, kayaks, canoes and drift boats
Another one of the best hip waders out there is the Lacrosse Men’s Trapline Hip Waders. There are a number of different benefits that are associated with going for these boots over the different options that are available on the market today. Firstly, you need to consider the fact that Lacrosse is one of the best brands on the market and they have a great reputation for delivering some of the best hip boots, so this should give you peace of mind. Aside from this, though, there are many other qualities that make these insulated hip waders a good choice.
These boots have a wool-felt lining, which ensures you are nice and warm during the rubbish weather! After all, when you are out fishing in the cold, you need waders that are insulated so that you always feel comfortable. If that was not enough, these boots are known for their soles because they provide exceptional traction for all sorts of terrain, including loose terrain, snow, and mud. Aside from this, there is a metal plate that is molded into the shoes, meaning that they could even double up as aquatic work boots. A lot of people would agree that the toughness of these boots is unmatched. The rubber construction is very rugged, ensuring you will get a lot of use out of these insulated hip waders.
However, there is a lot of weight on these monsters, so it is unlikely that you are going to want to trek extremely far in them! Nevertheless, if you read a lot of the reviews that have been left by people, they claim that the fit on these boots is pretty much perfect, and so that should negate the large amount of weight if you do indeed need to go on quite the walk. You can also add a removable EVA footbed if you feel you are in need of some extra cushioning. For long days of fishing, the Lacrosse Men’s Trapline Hip Waders won’t let you down. These waist-high waders also have a very simple lacing system, as they simply secure at the waist. You don’t need straps because the rubber is so rigid and so the boots stand up perfectly fine on their own.
- Waders are available in full sizes and one width only. It is recommended that half sizes order the next full size listed on the chart.
- Abrasion-resistant scent free rubber offers 100% waterproof protection. Our premium rubber compound has a high tensile strength, which means greater tear-resistance and durability.
- Wool-felt lining for additional warmth and comfort in cold water conditions
- Removable EVA footbed adds cushioning for all day comfort
- Lacing system keeps boot securely up at the waist
Another brand that has a lot of different hip waders for you to select from is COMPASS. They are a fairly new company on the market, having been developed in 2015. However, since then, they have built up a massive reputation.
They sell a great assortment of outdoor goods, and their waders have been well received by customers if you take a look at all of the reviews that have been posted online. So, why should you opt for the Deadfall waders out of all of the different hip waders they have available?
Well, there are a number of different benefits that are associated with these waders over the other options that are available. This includes the fact that they are breathable.
They have a classic design, and they are fully functional, so you know that you can rely on them no matter whether you are going fishing for a few hours or a full day. They are constructed with durable 4-ply nylon, which are extremely tough and reliable.
They provide you with exceptional performance at great value. There are lots of different waders to choose from on the market in terms of pricing, and these waders certainly fall into the affordable bracket.
- Attached 4-ply nylon Gravel Guards
- Foot fit, double taped, 4mm 100% chloroprene Booties
- Fully adjustable and durable web Wading belt with quick release buckle
- Comfort fitting elastic back
So, we have already given you a glimpse into three of the best hip waders that are on the market at the moment. If these aren’t suitable, we have another solid option for you in these hip waders.
This is a high-quality fishing wader that makes it effective for you to fish in shallow creeks or streams with waves and tides that are low. They have been manufactured by Frogg Toggs’, which is another company that has an established reputation in this industry.
One of the main qualities you can expect with all of the waders they sell is durability, and that is most definitely the case with the Frogg Toggs Bull Frogg 3-ply PVC Canvas Bootfoot Hip Wader.
You can be sure that all leakages are going to be blocked. Plus, there will not be any breakages thanks to the vulcanized and taped seams.
Aside from this, these hip waders are made using canvas. This means that they do not only offer quality but they provide comfort too. They can also be comfortable when the sun is shining.
Not a lot of waders on the market provide ultimate comfort on a hot summer’s day. Unlike a lot of other hip boots, you can be sure of a perfect fit as well. The only time you are going to need to be a bit careful when it comes to the fit of these boots is if you have wide feet or you are going to be wearing a pair of socks that are extra thick. Not only this, but you can be sure of an extra level of comfort thanks to the buckle and adjustable fasteners.
- Tough, durable 3-ply canvas and vulcanized rubber construction
- All seams taped and vulcanized for strength
- Adjustable belt leashes with quick-release buckles
- Adjustable hip drawcord
- Boots feature foam cushioning, wool felt mid, steel shank, hard toe cap and heel kicker
Last but by no means least, we have the Ranger 36″ Heavy-Duty Men’s Full Rubber Hip Boots. These are another pair of boots that have a great reputation in the industry and will ensure that you can go fishing in complete comfort. They offer a secure and tight fit thanks to the belt strap, which is fully adjustable. You can also be sure that you won’t have a nasty trip or fall on a slippery, rough surface because of the durable and tough TracTread outsole. These boots are also one hundred percent waterproof, flexible, and durable too. In addition to this, you are not only protected from falls, slips, and trips, but you are also protected from anything that has fallen from above because it has a SAFE-TOE steel toe. This is why these waders are suitable for more than fishing. They are often worn in workplace environments too. You can be sure you will be protected and safe because the electrical hazard requirements are met.
In addition to this, you can expect your hip waders to last for a long time because they have been designed with industrial weight rubber, which is vulcanised and hand-laid, ensuring the boots are durable and that they are ozone resistant too. In addition to this, the steel shank of these full rubber hip boots and contoured insole provide outstanding arch support and cushioning, helping to fight leg and foot fatigue. As you can see, every possible area has been covered with these boots and so much thought has been put into the design and construction.
- Durable, flexible, industrial weight rubber is hand-laid and vulcanized at high heat for 100% waterproof construction; ozone-resistant to prevent cracks and remain flexible in cold weather
- FOOT FORM contoured insole and steel shank provide proper cushioning and arch support to fight foot and leg fatigue; removable, washable and replaceable
- Heavy-duty TracTread outsole and heel for improved grip and traction on slippery surfaces and rough terrain; tough but soft fabric lining for easy on/off
- SAFE-TOE steel toe protects against impacts from above; electrical hazard-rated outsole; ASTM F2413-11 M I/75 C/75 EH and CAN/CSA Z195-05 Grade 1; adjustable belt strap stays tight for a secure fit
- Recommended use: construction, mining, oil & gas, manufacturing, food processing, farm & equestrian, general industrial use