Best 3 Weight Fly Rods
Looking for a 3 weight fly rod? There has never been a better time to be in the market for a 3 weight. Rod makers are constantly improving designs and utilizing stronger and lighter materials in their rods.
That’s why Fly Fishing Atlas brings you our review of the best 3 weight fly rods.
Fly fishing smaller streams with 3 wt fly rods is a joy. They are light weight and nimble for accurate casting at shorter distances. Spending a lot of money on an expensive 3 weight isn’t completely necessary, but investing a little into a nicer rod will provide better sensitivity.
With that said, we also enjoy high-end rods tremendously. They maximize sensitivity so you can feel those subtle strikes. They also look and cast nicely.
Entry level 3 wt fly rods feature many superficial similarities to high quality rods. Good quality cork grips and reel inserts have become commonplace for entry level rods. And very often the blanks from which the rods are made are also similar to mid-priced rods.
With that said, there is no substitute for high-end 3-weight fly rods. If you are looking for a 3 weight that can perform, check out our top picks below. You might be surprised to see a few recommendations that could save you some coin.
Best 3 Weight Fly Rods Comparison
Best 3 Weight Fly Rods
- Handcrafted on Bainbridge Island, USA
- Graphite IIIe Technology, Fast action
- Lichen blank color; Olive thread wraps with Black trim wraps, Fuji ceramic stripper guides; Hard chromed snake guides and tip-top
- Black nylon rod tube with divided liner
- Rosewood insert with Gloss Black anodized aluminum up-locking reel seat., Snub-nose, half-wells cork handle
2. Redington Butterstick
- Traditional fiberglass rod
- Slow action has a soft, old-school feel
- T-Glass construction features retro cosmetics
- Shorter length makes tight spaces easier to manage
- 3-piece design makes traveling easy
- Lighter weight for aggressive power and strength
- Translucent blank with carbon fiber reel seat
- Ultra hard-chromium impregnated anodized steel stripping guides
- Contoured, comfortable Flor grade handle grips
- Better-than-excellent presentation in a lightweight rod
- Fast action
- Rod length: 7'
- Graphite blank
- Weight : 2.70 ; Rod Handle Material : Cork; Line Rating : 3wt
These are Amazon’s top selling 3 weight rods:
- Special Tribute to our Heroes - The Anglers of Honor Fly Rod & Combos were designed for US veterans who have had their lives changed through their service to our country. In their honor, we have created special graphics and colors.
- Premium Performance Fly Rod - The KastKing Anglers of Honor Fly Combo is a true performance fly rod and with an incredible value! These high modulus, medium fast action, 4 pc fly rods are perfect for most fly-fishing styles from nymphing to delicate dry flies and even streamers. We've used only the finest CNC aluminum reel seat, stainless stripping and snake foot guides and a tactical rubber cork handle that provides a very positive grip.
- CNC Machined Aluminum Fly Reel - Each 4-pc fly combo comes complete with a perfectly matched, size 3/4, 5/6 or 7/8, CNC machined aluminum fly reel featuring light-weight design and a graphite disc drag. The reel is pre-spooled with 20 lb. dacron fly line backing and Propel weight-forward floating fly line. These combos are ready to fish as soon as you take it out of its case.
- Storage/ Travel Case Included - To make storage and travel easy and to protect your beautiful new fly rod, we've included a protective travel case with the American flag printed on the case and the Anglers of Honor logo embroidered in silver. The travel case allows you to store and transport the rod with the reel on the handle for quick use when you arrive.
- Support Our Wounded Veterans - We designed this combo as a gift to our wounded veterans as they work toward their recovery with the Anglers of Honor team. However, we had so many requests from other anglers, family members and service members, that we are now offering the combo for sale to anyone interested and we will donate part of the sales price back the Anglers of Honor team to support their recovery efforts. Please visit Anglers of Honor to learn more about how you can help.
- EXCLUSIVE MAXSPIRAL BLANK TECHNOLOGY- Medium-fast action rod made of IM8 graphite for durability, accuracy
- HIGH STANDARD SMOOTH GUIDES- Ceramic stripping guides, chrome snake guides for smooth gliding fly lines
- PURE CORK HANDL and REEL SEAT- Nature wood insert CNC Machined aluminum reel seat. AA-grade half-well cork grip to improve casting accuracy
- Travel Friendly- Four-piece lightweight rod perfect for traveling, with alignment dots for fast setup
- ONE-YEAR-WARRANTY and LifeTime Repairing Warranty we as a 13 years fly rod factory, offer "No Hassle" warranty for all our rods for one year. If you are not 100% satisfied with our rod, you can return it in any time. And we also offer lifetime repairing for Maxcatch rods
- The micro-Spey has its own action for swinging and mending smaller trout streamers and wets.
- The two shortest trout rods have a slower action designed for short casts as compared to more conventional models.
- The basic saltwater models have a faster action designed for bigger flies, bigger fish, and windy conditions.
- The new Clearwaters improved the rod blank materials using a blend of standard, intermediate, and high modulus graphite depending on the rod model.
- The rods have between 10 and 15% improved strength, depending on the exact rod model.
- Material: [reel seat] aluminum, [snake guides] chrome, [saltwater] cork, rubber
- Length: (#4) 8 ft 6 in, 9 ft, (#5) 8 ft 6 in, 9 ft, (#6) 9 ft, 9 ft 6 in, (#7) 9 ft, (#8) 9 ft, (#9) 9 ft, (#10) 9 ft, (#12) 9 ft
- Handle: [handle A] reverse half wells, [handle B] full wells with fighting butt
- Reel Seats: up-locking
- Pieces: 4