Best Fly Box Reviews
Experienced fly anglers know that a fly box does a lot more than just hold your flies. While that is true, there are features to consider that make an average fly box, into the best fly box.
Fly anglers need gear that integrates to provide the most possible benefit. Once you find the right vest or pack, you’ll need to find fly boxes that fit the pockets to maximize your storage.
That’s why Fly Fishing Atlas brings you our review of the best fly boxes.
We love solid fishing gear, and we appreciate a good fly box that performs and lasts for years to come. We hope the article below will help you find exactly what you need.
Fly Box Features To Consider
- Construction – Rugged construction is always beneficial, but your preference on what your fly box is made of will likely come down to function and aesthetics. Regardless of whether your fly boxes are made from plastic, wood, or aluminum, we fly anglers like beautiful things. Take trout for example. And a fly box that looks really nice, functions really well, and last for a long time is going to quickly ascend the ranks to receive the ‘best fly box’ title. A clear lid can also help to see the inside from the outside.
- Fly Size – A small fly box won’t hold but a handful of big chunky streamers. Likewise, a really thick fly box full of a rocking nymph collection is going to be a huge waste of space compared to a thin box of equal size. Having a good plan for what you are going to use your fly box for will go a long way toward maximizing storage. Thin boxes are great for nymphs and thicker boxes for streamers and big bushy dry flies.
- Pocket Size – If you want your fly box to fit in a particular vest or chest pack, then you need to know the internal size of your pockets. You can check with the manufacturer, take some measurements, or even make up a mock fly box out of cardboard to see what works.
- Brand – The brand of the fly box is definitely something to consider. Not only is there a manufacturers warranty involved, but the method that the fly box uses to retain the actual hook is also different from one company to another. Some have a simple piece of foam that the hook is poked into. Others have tightly slotted foam or silicone that retains the bend of the hook after it is slipped into the slot.
- Waterproofing – A waterproof fly box can be really nice if you happen to drop it. Now, in a fast flowing current that might not help you much unless you have a lanyard attachment to keep it from passing out of reach. But in still waters, a waterproof floating fly box that drops out of your float tube or canoe will be easily retrieved and save you hundreds of dollars in replacement flies.
Best Fly Box Comparison Chart
Best Fly Boxes
Our top choice for best fly box goes to Tacky Fly Boxes. These handy fly boxes come in different sizes and designs to handle everything from big chunky streamers, to big dry flies, to tiny nymphs.
The boxes are made from a polycarbonate that is tough and ready for the rigors of heavy fishing.
The lid of the Tacky Fly Box is clear to allow anglers to see which flies are inside without opening the box. And the bright blue silicone insert provides great contrast for most fly patterns.
Speaking of that silicone insert, the material is much preferred over foam inserts that rip and shred apart over time. Slots within the silicone hold the flies securely and last for a super long time.
You won’t have to worry about breaking the latches on this fly box either, as Tacky Fly Boxes feature magnetic closures.
We’re big fans of the functional designs of Tacky Fly Boxes. They have you covered whatever you need. A sweet fly box for big hoppers and foam bodied bugs? Just take a look at their Big Bug Box. While The Predator from Tacky Fly Box is another excellent option for your streamers.
Best Streamer Fly Boxes
Streamer flies can present a challenge to the average fly box. Big flies take up a lot of space, and big barbed hooks can really tear up a foam insert.
That’s where Cliff fly boxes fill a much needed role. The Bugger Beast and Bugger Beast Jr. are really popular with fly anglers who throw big meaty flies.
The Bugger Beast measures in at 13.5″ x 9″ x 3″ and the Bugger Beast Jr. is just slightly smaller at 10″ x 6.5″ x 2.75″. Both can hold large streamer flies in mass quantity.
For professional fishing guides, fly tiers, and streamer fly aficionados, you won’t find a better box for all your streamer fly storage needs.
- Cliff's Slit Blue Foam
- Keeps flies organized
- Handle for easy carrying
- Made for large flies
- Winner of the 2007 Ka-Ching Award
Umpqua Fly Boxes
Orvis Fly Boxes
- WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including Bisphenol A (BPA), which is known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.
- Material: polycarbonate, silicone
- Capacity: 168 flies
- Dimensions: 7 x 3.5 x .75 in
- Recommended Use: fly fishing
MFC Fly Boxes
- Double sided fly box
- MFC artist series boxes
- Graphic printing method adds a vibrant finish that lasts for years
- Design has quickly become a favorite among anglers
- Dimensions: 5.75" x 3.5" x 1.5"
Wooden Fly Boxes
- This is a great box for handling a large number of flies in a compact space.
- It's the perfect size for vest pocket.
- Seal design to keep your flies nice and dry.
- With slit foam insert, it won't damage the fish lure.
Saltwater Fly Boxes
- Waterproof series saltwater fly box made from strong durable clarified ABS material and have quality stainless steel hinges
- Double-sided Crystal clear lids
- 360 rubber gasket for waterproof seal
- Triangle slots for easy placement and removal of flies
Aluminum Fly Boxes
- Fly fishing kit includes:
- (1) Barnsley aluminum 16 individual spring compartment fly box - Silver
- (50) Dry and Parachute fly fishing flies
- (50) Nymph, Beadhead Nymph, Wet, Scud, Streamer and Worm Flies
- Please see product pictures on fly patterns and sizes included in this kit
Waterproof Fly Boxes
- Fly Box seal with quality silicon sealing-ring, keep your flys dry
- Medium 100% waterproof Fly Box, allows you to effectively hold a hundred of different size flies.
- The box measures about 5.0" x 3.3" x 1.6"
- . Rugged, Durable ABS Plastic-make this floatable box will last for years.
- Great gift for your favorite angler or beginning fly fishing assortment
Check out our top fishing gear review articles: