Best Fly Fishing Combo Reviews
How the times have changed! It wasn’t that long ago that finding a decent quality fly fishing combo that came with everything you needed was nearly impossible. Today there are so many that it is hard to sort through which one to buy!
That’s why we reviewed the best fly fishing combos under $200.
Which fly rod kit fly will work the best for you is going to depend on how you want to use it. We cover all the popular fly rod and reel varieties including fresh and saltwater models as well as the best fly rod combos for beginners.
Given the wide selection and availability, we want to help you sort out the details and find a good fly rod and reel set up that you can enjoy for years to come. Check out which 5 fly rod combos topped our list in the comparison chart below, and read on for all the details.
Top Fly Rod Combo Comparison
Best Fly Rod Combo
When Redington was designing the Path II fly fishing combo, it’s clear that they had versatility in mind. Unlike some manufacturers, the company had the good sense to realize that people want different fly fishing combos for different situations.
Redlington, therefore, offers the Path II in two distinct flavors: one for freshwater fishing, and one for saltwater depending on where you’re planning on fishing. The freshwater models come with wooden reel seats while the salty models come with an anodized aluminum reel seat to protect against corrosion over long fishing weekends in seawater.
The Redington Path II is suited for people who want an all-in-one fly fishing combo. The basic kit comes with practically everything you need for a day out on the lake, and all comes packaged in an attractive carry case.
The rod features several helpful notches along the outside, allowing you to see how to set the whole thing up immediately. And the rod tube itself comes with dividers, which is great for packing the fishing line away efficiently.
Redington also wanted to create a fly fishing combo that would exceed people’s expectations for durability. When you spend less than $200 on an all-in-one, you don’t necessarily expect something that will last for many years to come, but that’s precisely what Redington offers with the Path II. The product is made of exceptionally high-quality material, meaning that it’s suitable for multiple trips, not just one season’s worth.
So who’s this rod set for? Primarily it’s for people who want to experience regular fishing trips but who don’t want to pay out the big bucks customarily required to get hold of something durable.
- All water, Medium-Fast action rod
- Laser-etched wooden reel seats on rods 6 weight and below
- Alignment dots for easy rod setup
- Combo includes: path rod, Crosswater reel pre-spooled with Rio mainstream wf fly line, and cordura rod tube
- Lifetime Warranty
When it comes to budget fly fishing, Orvis isn’t apologetic. Instead of calling their products “entry level,” the company prefers the term “affordable awesomeness.” But is the Encounter affordable and awesome?
The word awesome might be stretching it a little bit, but the fact that you can get a fishing rod for less than $200 in what is otherwise a very gear-driven sport, is worth writing home about.
Unlike Redington, Orvis doesn’t offer their fly rods in quite as many varieties of shapes and sizes; nor do they provide specific saltwater options. You can see why the company went with this approach: it brings the cost of manufacturing the rod down considerably if you limit your production line.
Having said that, Orvis does offer a fair variety of rod weights, knowing people have different preferences when it comes to fly fishing. The 5WT 8’6″ model is a great all-around solution, but the Orvis Encounter Combo ranges up to 8 weight models.
Should you buy this rod? For those who want the combination of simplicity and quality, then the Orvis seems to be the way to go. It offers the best of both worlds, providing you with a four-piece kit at around half the price you’d expect to pay for something of similar quality.
With that said, the plastic reel may be a deal breaker for some. Of course, you can always upgrade the reel if you decide to become a professional fly angler down the road. Overall, Orvis has done an excellent job of making the Encounter highly durable and able to withstand fishing in lakes, rivers, and streams for many seasons.
Wild Water takes a totally different approach to Orvis. Instead of focusing on the simplicity of their product, Wild Water is keen to demonstrate to customers that its product has all the bells and whistles that they want, even though its price point would suggest otherwise.
The main attraction of the Wild Water Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo is the sheer number of accessories that come with the kit. It’s a real all-in-one solution, unlike the Orvis or Redington, providing not just the rod and reel, but many of the tools you need for a day out on the lake too, including the line nipper tool, and a retractable zinger.
Wild Water is keen to target people who might be new to fly fishing and want to get acquainted with the sport quickly. The Wild Water Fly Fishing Starter Package Reference Guide, published in 2017, comes with instructions for practically everything to do with the kit, including assembly, how to look after your equipment, and how to get better at angling.
There are, unfortunately, some costs. Yes, Wild Water has done a great job of including everything you need in a single package, but it doesn’t offer the most robust kit. The rod is lighter than most and not constructed to the same level of strength as, say, the Orvis. And the screws that hold the reel seat to the reel can be temperamental if you don’t keep them tightened up over the life of the rod.
So who is this fly fishing combo for? Mainly, it’s for the person who wants a true all-in-one solution: a product that has everything that they need to get started immediately. Buyers, however, need to be careful: the Wild Water can’t take an enormous amount of abuse and is best left for calm, tranquil conditions and stationary water.
- Rod comes with Lifetime Warranty. Slow action, mid flex IM8 graphite design, aluminum reel seat, stainless steel stripper guide with SiC ring, stainless steel single foot snake guides and hook keeper. 7" western-style grip made with high quality cork and compressed cork trim rings.
- Waterproof, Floating Fly Box - 5.25" x 3.5" x 1.25", custom foam design, holds up to 372 flies. Includes 3 each of Black Ants, Parachute Adams, Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymph flies, all size 14. Best suited for Trout, Panfish, small streams, ponds, and backpacking
- Diecast Aluminum Fly Fishing Reel - Large arbor design reel, pre-loaded 20 pound blaze orange backing, weight forward 3-weight floating fly line, and 7.5' 5X leader. Diecast aluminum spool, frame and reel foot, stainless steel internal components, quick release spool, and disc drag for fine tension adjustments.
- Wild Water is a US based company started in 2006. US based support. Package includes rod bag, lightweight rod case with a zippered storage pouch, starter booklet, and gift box packaging.
When KastKing was designing the Emergence, they wanted to make it as easy as possible for somebody who has never done the sport before to order online, pick up their rod kit, and be able to begin fishing immediately, all at a stunningly low price.
Like Wild Water, KastKing focuses on providing the fly fisher with all the tools that they may need: everything from forceps to line nippers to retractors. What’s more, the tools are of remarkably high quality and not just some afterthought that KastKing thought that they had to include, just in case. You’ll be using these tools for many years to come, thanks to their durable construction.
The purpose of including all these accessories, according to KastKing, is to prevent people from wasting time and money on tools that they may not need. The Emergence comes with all of the relevant items, providing the angler with a self-contained kit.
Another benefit of the Emergence is the weight options. KastKing offers line weights of 4, 5, 6, and 8. All models come with four pieces, but each offers different rod line, weight, and length depending on your particular needs.
Is this a rod that you could use to begin your fly fishing journey? The answer is almost certainly. The combo comes with everything, including fly, reel, leader, rod and accessories. The only potential issue you may have is learning how to tie the right knots, but you can easily find instructional videos online.
- Everything You Need to Go Fly Fishing Today - KastKing Emergence Fly combos are designed to help beginning fly anglers get started right and while the Emergence fly combo is perfect for beginners, experienced anglers will also appreciate the quality and performance of this combo. Take a look at the video as our Product Development Director Al will show you just how easy it is.
- 4 Piece Graphite Fly Rod and More - The Emergence fly combo was much more than a starter fly rod. This is a true 4 pc. performance fly rod, aluminum fly reel, fly line, tapered leader, backing, 12 hand tied flies, travel case and the most important tools and accessories anglers need! It is available in 4 lengths and line weights and is sure to be perfect for your location in either freshwater or even saltwater fishing applications.
- Aluminum Fly Reel - The combo includes a high quality, lightweight aluminum, large arbor fly reel with an extremely smooth disc drag. The reel is pre-spooled with backing, weight forward floating fly line and the tapered fly leader is already attached. The reel is size matched for perfect balance with each line weight rod and is anodized with a rich black finish.
- Includes Tools/Flies & Accessories - Included with your Emergence fly combo is a beautiful travel case that allows the reel to remain on the fly rod. You'll also receive 12, high quality, hand tied flies including some of the most popular and fishing catching dry flies, nymphs and streamers. Also included are the most used tools for fly anglers including forceps, line nipper with retractor, strike indicators and split shot for use with sub-surface flies.
- Performance, Confidence & Durability - The Emergence Fly Combo is the best way to get started in fly fishing at the lowest possible price and you'll have confidence knowing that you're using a true performance rod because of KastKing's Incredible 1 Year Total Peace of Mind Warranty!
You can tell immediately that the people at Piscifun are experienced fly fishers. Everything about their product screams that they are people who have experienced the difficulties of fly fishing and that they are determined to make the experience better for their fellow anglers.
One of the most important ways in which they’ve done this is by including a hardened case. Transporting delicate pieces of equipment, like rods and reels, isn’t as easy as you might think. Rods are prone to impact and to crush damage, as are reels and lines. Piscifun’s hardened case, however, takes away this problem by providing impact protection for all the pieces in the set, meaning that you can chuck it in the trunk of your car without worrying about anything else on top damaging it.
The rods themselves, however, aren’t as robust as some of the others that we’ve seen in this list, perhaps explaining why Piscifun invested so much energy into creating a good case. Under regular use, the rod holds up just fine, but if you remove it from the case incorrectly, or use it in situations not recommended by Piscifun, you can get into trouble. It’s worth remembering that, despite all the bells and whistles, this is an entry-level product. It’s not designed for years of use, and it won’t stand up well to serious abuse. It’s for people doing regular fly fishing on open water.
Is it user-friendly? Perhaps not to the same degree as the Wild Water, but Piscifun still does a great job of making this product accessible to people new to the sport. The rod, for instance, has dots along it making it easier to put together for people who haven’t done it before. And the cork handles do a great job of reducing fatigue for long days on the river.
You get the impression when using the Piscifun Fly Fishing Rod and Reel Combo that the company put a lot of effort into making something that was perfect for beginners. The fact Piscifun provides you with everything you need, including customer service, means that this is an excellent choice for people who are willing to be gentle with their fly fishing rods. The rod might be a little underwhelming for some, but the rest of the package makes up for it.
- FLY FISHING COMBO: Start your fly-fishing adventures with a top-quality fly fishing combo at an affordable price. A 4-piece 5/6wt 9 foot rod, a mid arbor reel with drag, pre-spooled line, backing and leader, a carrying rod case, a zinger retractor, a fly box, 3/4 dozen of 3 different fly pattern and a stainless steel line cutter.
- FLY ROD: Super lightweight 5# 9 foot Slow Action for sunfish, small trout and small streams, a great size for beginners. Half wells cork handle helps casting accuracy, avoids fatigue. Anodized-aluminum reels seat, oversized stripping guides, color-coded alignment dots, black-matte-finished blanks and premium-grade cork handles.
- FLY REEL: Traditional Black 5/6wt fly reel is made by die cast premium aluminum alloy. The smooth click drag provides accurate and immediate drag engagement. Mid-arbor design reduces line memory while also facilitating lightning-quick line pickup. Pre-spooled fly line, backing line and leader to save your time.
- FLY FISHING ACCESSORIES: The fly box has a lanyard so you can easily keep it on you without losing it. 3/4 dozen of 3 different fly pattern in the box and it has already prepared for your fly fishing. The stainless steel line clippers is pretty durable and easy to carry.
- FRIENDLY TRAVEL: The harden case holds everything in the package, the zippered pouch on the bottom side of the case keeps all your stuff safe. A must have for fly fishing starter! Replacement or repaired for Piscifun fly fishing gear shall be covered within the limited Limited Warranty Period. No worry to try it!
Check out our top fishing gear review articles: